Today’s recipe is the perfect way to embrace spring! An asian pear, tangerine, and walnut salad! Believe it or not selecting a good-quality Asian Pear is done by smell rather than firmness. Asian pears are ripe even when they are extremely firm. This is the reason asian pears are used in this salad, for their unique crispness. So how do you know if they are ripe? Asian pears should have a fairly strong sweet aroma when they are ready to be enjoyed.
Cook Time: 1o Min. • Serves: 2 • Calories: 330 • Total Fat: 16 grams • Protein: 5 grams
Asian pear, fresh tangerine, and walnut salad.
For the Dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. roasted almond oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne (optional)
For the Salad:
- 2 oz small, whole tender lettuces or salad mix (about 1 loosely packed qt.)
- 1 large Asian pear, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tangerines, peeled and sectioned
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- A famous chef was asked what he looks for when he hires a someone to run his kitchen. What does he have them prepare? A salad. Why? Because the care the cook takes to prepare the salad says a lot about his attention to detail and passion for food. This famous chef suggests dressing the salad bowl before adding the ingredients! So in keeping with this sage wisdom, in a medium bowl, whisk the lime juice, oil, honey, salt, and cayenne until blended. This will ultimately be the bowl you put the salad in!
- In another medium bowl, gently mix lettuces with 1 to 2 tablespoons of dressing. If you are in a hurry just get pre-washed greens of your choice from the grocery store.
- Add the sliced pear, tangerine pieces, and walnuts to the bowl with remaining dressing and mix gently to coat.
- Divide salad among plates and enjoy!
So, what is the healthiest thing in this salad? We would say the walnuts! The claim that walnuts are especially good for your circulatory system, your heart has been extensively studied! Walnuts improve vascular reactivity which is the ability of our blood vessels to respond to stress in healthy manner.
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|.25 Cup lime juice||Juice, lime, fresh||7.6||0.05||2.55|
|1 Teaspoon olive oil||Oil, olive, extra virgin||21||2.35||0|
|2 Tablespoon honey||Honey, light||63.85||0||17.05|
|1 Teaspoon kosher salt||Salt, Kosher, coarse||0||0||0|
|.7 Teaspoon cayenne||Spice, chili pepper, cayenne, dried, ground||2.05||0.15||0.4|
|2 Ounce-weight mixed greens||Greens, mixed, chpd, cnd||5.5||0||0.7|
|1 Each pear||Pears, fresh, lrg||66.7||0.15||17.8|
|2 Each tangerine||Tangerines, fresh, sml, 2 1/4″||40.3||0.25||10.15|
|.32 Cup walnuts||Nuts, walnuts, English, dried, chpd||122.45||12.25||2.6|
Love to hear you thoughts below!