Making your own sushi roll is not as hard as you might think. With just a few ingredients, a simple bamboo rolling mat and a bit of practice you’ll easily turn out professional-looking nori maki.
What you need for Maki Rolls:
Sushi Rollers – In other words, the bamboo mats we used for rolling the sushi. Any Japanese store will have them and they are very cheap, like a dollar per mat.
Nori – These are the sheets of seaweed that we used in the class to make the rolls (and hand rolls). Do make sure that the package is fresh – when exposed to air they can absorb moisture very easily and lose their crispness. Remember to put the shiny side down before you apply the rice, and apply the rice using a minimal amount of liquid so that the nori doesn’t get soggy.
Sushi Rice - Don’t stress, it is forgiving! Find Japanese rice, or sushi rice. Rinse it well! And cook gently!
Cook Time: 30 Min. • Serves: 4 • Calories: 388 • Total Fat: 12 grams • Protein: 9 grams
The beauty of this recipe is its infinite adaptability – you can fill your sushi rolls with just about anything: cucumber, avocado, sweet potato, tofu, mango, etc!
For the Avocado Brown Rice Rolls, serves 4
- 4 sheets of nori (dried seaweed)
- 4 cups brown short grained rice
- 2 large Avocados, diced
For The Cucumber Seaweed Salad, serves 4
- 2 medium cucumbers, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 sheets nori, cut into ¼ in x ½ in pieces
- 4 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
For the Avocado Brown Rice Rolls
- Place 1 cup of sushi rice in a rice cooker and then rinse the rice repeatedly until the rice water is not cloudy. Then fill the rice pot with new water (how much water depends on the amount of rice of the cooker and the same goes for how long to cook it; the instructions are usually in the box). Usually it’s about 1 cup rice to 2 cups water ratio.
- Check the rice, if it’s ready take it out and put it in a dish. Take a bowl and pour in about a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar. You can add more or less depends on your taste buds and how separated you want your grains or rice. It is better to put in less right now and add more later. Add in a pinch of sugar and salt and stir until it dissolves (repeat until it tastes good).
- Put a half-size nori on top of a bamboo mat . Spread about 3/4 cup of sushi rice on top of the nori. Place julienned avocado pieces horizontally on the rice.
- Roll up the bamboo mat, pressing forward to shape the sushi into a cylinder. Press the bamboo mat firmly with hands. Unwrap the bamboo mat.
- Make more rolls. Wipe a knife with a wet cloth before slicing sushi. Cut the sushi roll into bite-size pieces.
For The Cucumber Seaweed Salad
- Put the cucumber in a bowl and sprinkle salt over it. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze cucumber slices to remove the liquid.
- Mix vinegar and sugar in a bowl.
- Add cucumber and seaweed in the bowl and mix well.
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|6 Sheet nori||Seaweed, nori, hoshi, sheets, dried (Sun Luck)||15||0||1.5|
|2 Each cucumber||Cucumber, fresh, med||22.75||0||4.5|
|5 Tablespoon rice vinegar||Vinegar, brown rice (Spectrum Naturals)||12.5||0||2.5|
|.5 Tablespoon sugar||Sugar, white, granulated||6||0||1.5|
|.5 Teaspoon salt||Salt, Kosher, coarse||0||0||0|
|2 Each avocado||Avocado, Calif, fresh||113.5||10.5||5.75|
|4 Cup brown rice||Rice, brown, med grain, ckd||218.5||1.5||45.75|
Love to hear you thoughts below!