Ground bison is a wonderful alternative to ground beef, it contains great protein and is much leaner! These bison stuffed bell peppers offer a touch of italian flare that won’t hammer you with fat!
Cook Time: 60 Min. Serves: 2 Calories: 356 Total Fat: 17 grams Protein: 32 grams
Basil infused bison and brown rice stuffed colorful peppers topped with cheddar cheese!
.5 pound of ground grass fed organic bison/ buffalo
.5 cup of cooked brown rice
2 bell peppers
.5 teaspoon of black pepper
1 tablespoon of oregano
.5 cup of fresh chopped basil
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese
.5 teaspoon of EVOO
2 slices of cheddar cheese
1. Begin by pre heating your oven to 350 degrees and cutting the tops off of your peppers. In the event the natural shape of the pepper does not allow it to stand straight up, you can cut small amounts off the foot of the pepper to stabilize the base of it.
2. Get a large mixing bowl for your bison and remember to wash your hands throughly before and after handling/ mixing the meat.
3. Cook the brown rice. If you need a fast solution for such a small quantity of brown rice try Trader Joes Microwavable brown rice packs. They are a bit dry but for the purposes of mixing with these peppers they are perfect, and cook in 1 minute.
4. Put the raw ground bison and brown rice into the bowl and add all the herbs. You will need to chop your fresh basil before adding it. In addition to this, add the half teaspoon of olive oil and the parmesan cheese to the mix.
5. Now you are ready to pack the peppers. Note that is is fine to “over-pack them” meaning there can be a dome of meat mixture that comes out of the top of the pepper.
7. Kale is always a colorful way to plate food when it is not accompanied by a side dish, try plating your peppers with Kale!
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 150 Calories 356
% Daily value
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|.5 Pound ground bison||Bison, ground, grass-fed, raw||165.6||8.2||0.05|
|.5 Cup brown rice||Rice, brown, long grain, ckd||54.15||0.45||11.2|
|2 Each bell pepper||Peppers, sweet, bell, fresh, med||25||0||6|
|.5 Teaspoon black pepper||Spice, pepper, black, ground||1.45||0.05||0.4|
|1 Tablespoon herb oregano||Herb, oregano, leaf, dried||4||0.1||1.05|
|.5 Cup herb basil||Herb, basil, leaf, fresh, chpd||2.45||0.05||0.3|
|1 Each garlic||Garlic, cloves, fresh||2.25||0.05||0.5|
|1 Tablespoon parmesan||Cheese, parmesan, grated||10.8||0.75||0.1|
|.5 Teaspoon olive oil||Oil, olive, extra virgin||10.5||1.2||0|
|2 Each cheddar cheese||Cheese, cheddar, med, thin slice||80||6||0|