Sometimes at the end of a long week all you want to really do is put your feet up, sip on a glass of red from that signature bottle of wine that’s been taking up space in your cabinet and eat a hearty comforting bowl of pasta.
The good news? Now you can do that, guilt free, and all in under 20 minutes. This pasta is good for you! Broccoli is said to be a miracle food. It contains many nutrients compared to any other vegetable and has numerous health benefits such as preventing cancer, detoxicification, helping in stomach disorder, heart diseases, bones and skin health etc. Mushrooms are low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free and very low in sodium, yet they provide important nutrients, including selenium, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D and more.
Cook Time: 20 Min. • Serves: 2 • Calories: 569 • Total Fat: 11 grams • Protein: 27 grams
If you’re short on time you can skip the home made pasta sauce and use a low fat store bought brand!
- 8 oz Whole Wheat High Fiber Penne Pasta
- 1 ½ Cups Broccoli Florets
- ¾ Cup Mushroom Slices
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 oz Tomato Paste
- 12 oz Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Capers
- 3 fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bring 4 cups of water to a rapid boil in a large saucepan. Season the water with olive oil and salt. Add the noodles and cooked until desired doneness, al dente is about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside when done.
- While the pasta is cooking slice the mushrooms and broccoli florets. Mashed the garlic cloves to remove the film and chop them roughly.
- Add the veggies into a large chefs pan with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pan fry the veggies over medium heat for about 6 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant and the broccoli is bright green.
- In the blender add the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, capers, basil leaves, oregano, and pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and leave a little chunky is desired.
- Add the tomato sauce to the saucepan and cook over low heat until heated through.
- Mix the whole wheat penne noodles in the broccoli and mushroom marinara sauce and serve hot!
Tip: when preparing mushrooms, do NOT rinse. Get a damp paper towel and wipe clean. Mushrooms are like sponges. So save their soaking powers for the good stuff. A waterlogged mushroom is a rubbery one…
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|8 Ounce-weight whole wheat penne||Pasta, penne, whole wheat flax, dry (LifeStream)||410.9||6.9||71.1|
|1.5 Cup broccoli||Broccoli, florets, fresh||14.95||0.2||2.8|
|.75 Cup mushroom||Mushrooms, fresh, pces/slices||5.8||0.1||0.9|
|4 Each garlic||Garlic, cloves, fresh||8.95||0.05||2|
|.5 Each tomato paste||Tomato Paste, 6oz can||34.85||0.2||8.05|
|12 Ounce-weight crushed tomato||Tomatoes, crushed (Pacific Natural Foods)||55.8||0||11.2|
|.25 Cup caper||Capers||1.3||0.05||0.45|
|3 Each basil||Herb, basil, leaf, fresh||0.2||0.05||0.05|
|1 Teaspoon oregano||Herb, oregano, ground||2.4||0.05||0.65|
|.5 Tablespoon olive oil||Oil, olive, extra virgin||31.55||3.55||0|
|.8 Teaspoon kosher salt||Salt, Kosher, coarse||0||0||0|
|.8 Teaspoon black pepper||Spice, pepper, black, dash||2.35||0.05||0.6|
Love to hear you thoughts below!