This chicken and kale pappardelle pasta is one of our favorites. It is a bit of a sleeper visually. Don’t be fooled. Although the ingredients seem basic the combination of the chard, asiago cheese, and as you are soon to find out, sherry…. make for a special taste experience!
Cook Time: 45 Min • Serves: 5 • Calories: 518 • Total Fat: 22 grams • Protein: 28 grams
Pappardelle pasta with shredded chicken breast, fresh kale, in a sherry sauce with fresh grated Asagio cheese
- ½ lb. green Swiss chard
- ½ lb. Kale
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese, divided
- shredded chicken meat (1 pound shredded rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 pound of pappardelle pasta or one package
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, trim the stems and ribs from swiss chard. Cut the leaves crosswise into 1/3 inch wide ribbons. Peel out any rubbery outer leaves from the kale and cut out the tough core, discarding both. Slice the remaining leaves crosswise into 1/3 inch wide ribbons.
- Finely shred a zest of lemon and then set aside the zest. Juice the lemon and set aside 3 tbsp. of juice.
- Heat oil in a 12-in. frying pan over medium heat. Add fresh garlic and cook it until it is mildly fragrant. This takes about 1 to 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high at this point and add the chicken broth, sherry, chard, kale, and lemon zest. Cook everything until the greens are tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, add your cream and half of the asiago cheese and stir combining everything.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and cook it until it is warmed through. Next stir in the lemon juice and season the sauce mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile cook papparedelle in boiling water, uncovered, until tender to the bite.
- Drain the noodles then add them to the frying pan with the sauce!
- Sometimes, visually, pasta is best served in a smaller bowl.. try it out! Final step? Sprinkle the remaining asiago over the top of the pasta!
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|.5 Pound chard||Greens, Swiss chard, fresh||8.62||0.1||1.7|
|.5 Pound kale||Cabbage, kale, fresh, chpd||22.68||0.32||4.54|
|1 Each lemon||Lemon, fresh, med||3||0||1|
|2 Tablespoon olive oil||Oil, olive, extra virgin||50.4||5.6||0|
|3 Each garlic cloves||Garlic, cloves, fresh||2.7||0.02||0.6|
|.5 Cup chicken broth||Broth, chicken, low sod, cnd||3.84||0.16||0.3|
|.3 Cup sherry||Wine, cooking, sherry/regina, FS||16.82||0||2.42|
|.3 Cup heavy whipping cream||Cream, whipping, heavy||49.7||5.34||0.4|
|1 Cup asiago cheese||Cheese, asiago, fresh, shredded||88||7.2||0.8|
|1 Pound chicken||Chicken, breast, grilled, sr||106.68||2.68||8|
|.5 Pound pasta||Pasta, farfalle, enrich, dry||165.02||0.64||33.8|
Love to hear you thoughts below!