This seared chipotle tofu stack is about as healthy as you can get and very high in vegetarian protein and has absolutely no trans fat! This is an easy recipe that is very appealing visually and very easy to prepare! Also because you are not cooking with any animal products you need not worry about bad bacteria in your meal when you “sear” your protein!
Cook Time: 20 Min. Serves: 2 Calories: 478 Total Fat: 27 grams Protein: 23 grams
Seared chipotle tofu on top of fresh quinoa and tomatoes with a side of baked baby zucchini. Topped with fresh avocado.
1.5 cup of quinoa
.5 box of extra firm tofu
6 baby zucchini
1 ripe avocado
1 whole tomato
1 teaspoon of chipotle sauce
.5 teaspoon black pepper
.5 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Soak your quinoa for five minutes before cooking. This is not mandatory but it really helps it to cook evenly. I cooked quinoa for many years without pre-soaking the quinoa and found when I finally tried it, it does make a difference in the consistency.
2. Heat your oven to 380 degrees and bake the baby zucchini for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat a non-stick pan to medium high heat with a little canola oil spray. Cut a nice rectangle slice of tofu at about .5 inch thick and rub the chipotle sauce on both sides. The chipotle sauce is very very spicy so you should not need much at all. It is there to add a nice earthy spice to the tofu steak and nothing more.
4. Sear the tofu steak for about minute and a half on each side and then remove it from the pan and put it in the oven along with the zucchini to keep it warm.
5. Slice your tomatoes and avocado.
6. Mix the sliced tomatoes, salt, and quinoa together.
7. Plate the quinoa tomato mixture first. Nexy add your tofu slice and and zuhini on the side. Finally the slices of avocado. Crack black pepper over the top.
Some like to slice the zucchini and layer it underneath or on top of the tofu steak as a variation on the dish. I prefer to cut the zucchini into small pieces and plate it adjacent to the “stack”.
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 242 Calories 478
% Daily value
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|.5 Box tofu||Tofu, firm||112.5||7.5||1.3|
|6 Each zuchini||Squash, zucchini, baby, med, fresh||7||0.2||1.1|
|1 Each avocado||Avocado, avg, fresh||160.8||14.8||8.6|
|1 Each tomato||Tomatoes, fresh, med||12.5||0||2.5|
|1.5 Cup quinoa||Quinoa, ckd||166.5||2.7||29.6|
|1 Teaspoon chipotle||Sauce, chipotle||16.7||1.9||0|
|.5 Teaspoon black pepper||Spice, pepper, black, ground||1.5||0.1||0.4|
|.5 Teaspoon kosher salt||Salt, Kosher, coarse||0||0||0|
Love to hear you thoughts below!