Looking for a delicious, easy, healthy lamb recipe? This one will impress your company on Easter for sure! This lamb royale dish boasts impressive sophisticated flavors and equally impressive nutrition.
Cook Time: 45 Min. Serves: 4 Calories: 560 Total Fat: 19 grams Protein: 31 grams
Lamb Royale: Seared, cubed, New Zealand leg of lamb in a oak-aged Malbec reduction with notes of rosemary and black pepper. Served over long grain brown rice.
1 pound of fresh New Zealand leg of lamb
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon of ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup whole brown mushrooms
1 cup Oak Aged Malbec
3 cups brown rice
Remember your entree is as good as the quality of your ingredients!
1. Start by opening a bottle of oak aged malbec and pouring yourself a glass.
2. Prepare a mixture of pancake batter, garlic powder, and cracked pepper in a bowl.
3. Trim the fat off of your lamb and be sure to cube it into appetizing chunks.
4. Coat the chunks of lamb in the batter mixture.
5. Wash and decap the brown mushrooms. If you prefer to have them sliced go ahead. I like the rustic appeal of whole mushrooms.
6. Coat a non-stick pan with olive oil and sear the chunks of lamb until they are all sealed.
7. Literally pour a cup of malbec into the pan of seared lamb as well as the stewed tomatoes and mushrooms. Add some fresh rosemary.
8. Simmer the whole mixture on medium low heat. You will notice that as the alcohol cooks out the whole royale will begin to thicken (effect of the pancake batter). This takes about 20 minutes.
9. Serve the lamb over brown rice or quinoa. I prefer brown rice from a texture standpoint over quinoa. This said you could probably use wheat pasta to great effect if you had to! Plating a dish is very important. When you plate it, do so deliberately. Add some rosemary to garnish it and perhaps a small salad adjacent for color.
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 168 Calories 560
% Daily value
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|1 Pound lamb leg||Lamb, leg, sirloin, lean, raw, choice, 1/4″ trim||151.95||5.775||0|
|1 Cup brown mushroom||Mushrooms, brown, fresh||4.8||0.025||0.95|
|1 Cup red wine||Wine, red||50||0||1.55|
|.25 Cup rosemary||Herb, rosemary, fresh||2.775||0.125||0.45|
|.5 Cup pancake mix||Pancakes, buttermilk, complete dry mix||61.1||0.8||11.6|
|1 Cup tomato can||Tomatoes, dices, w/liquid, cnd||12.5||0||3|
|3 Cup brown rice||Rice, brown, long grain, ckd||162.35||1.325||33.575|
|1 Tablespoon black pepper||Spice, pepper, black, ground||4.35||0.075||1.125|
|1 Teaspoon kosher salt||Salt, Kosher, coarse||0||0||0|
|3 Tablespoon olive oil||Oil, olive, extra virgin||94.5||10.5||0|
|.25 Cup garlic powder||Spice, garlic powder||15.525||0.025||3.375|