Didn’t your mother always tell you not to skip breakfast? Well, she was right! It’s the most important meal of the day! Why?
Eating breakfast is a great way to get your metabolism working well for the day. When your body receives food in the morning, it tells your brain that you’re going to need to start working to digest it. This wakes up the system and warms up the metabolism so it’s ready to work throughout the day. When you don’t eat breakfast in the morning, your body thinks that it needs to conserve the energy it has because it isn’t getting any more through nutrition. This actually slows your metabolism down, which results in a decrease in the amount of calories you burn all day long.
However, skipping breakfast can lead to a number of problems when it comes to trying to lose weight and keep it off. If you are trying to achieve or maintain a healthy weight, consider taking an extra fives minutes out of your morning to start your day off right! Your body will thank you.
So, you’re on a time crunch? We’ve got the ideal breakfast solution for you, a Egg & Veggies Breakfast Bagel! It’s done in about 7 minutes, well balanced, and kid friendly!
Cook Time: 7 Min. • Serves: 1 • Calories: 429 • Total Fat: 13 grams • Protein: 21 grams
Whole grain bagels have more nutrients and a lot of fiber, which makes you feel more full and slows down the conversion of starch to sugar.
- 1 Whole Grain 100% Whole Wheat Bagel
- 1 oz Garden Veggie Cream Cheese Light
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 leaf of Lettuce, washed
- 1 Thick slice of a large Tomato
- 1 Thick slice of a Red Onion
- Dash of Salt and Pepper
- Slice the whole grain bagel in half and throw it in the toaster and set to desired toastyness.
- Wash the lettuce leaf then pat dry and set aside.
- Take one big slice from each the tomato and red onion.
- Spray a bit of cooking spray into a large nonstick pan over medium high heat and crack the egg over the pan. I like my eggs sunny-side. Do your egg your favorite way, let your creative genius run free. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- By now the bagel should be done. Spread the cream cheese on both halves evenly and being to layer the sandwich. First the lettuce, than the red onion, tomato, and lastly the egg.
- Cover with the other half of the bagel and eat while it’s hot!
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|1 Each bagel||Bagel, whole wheat, 100% (Oroweat)||260||2||52|
|1 Each egg||Egg, whole, lrg, fried||90||7||0|
|1 Each lettuce||Lettuce, green leaf, fresh, outer leaf||4||0||1|
|1 Ounce-weight tomato||Tomatoes, red, fresh, year round avg, chpd/sliced||5||0||1|
|1 Ounce-weight onion||Onion, white, fresh, sliced||11||0||3|
|1 Ounce-weight cream cheese light||Cream Cheese, garden veggie, light (Bruegger’s)||59||4||2|
Love to hear your thoughts below!