The importance of carbohydrates in the diet is often met with confusion and controversy as a result of the number of high-protein, low-carb diets on the market today. Many dieters decrease or severely restrict their carbohydrate intakes in an effort to lose weight. However, carbs are an essential part of the diet as they are the primary source of fuel for the body and brain. Not all carbs are created equally though, and complex carbohydrates should be selected over simple, refined carbs. Include complex carbs in your diet to improve your health as part of a nutritious eating plan and healthy lifestyle.
Cook Time: 45 Min. • Serves: 4 • Calories: 592 • Total Fat: 14 grams • Protein: 33 grams
This is the ThinDish take of one of your favorite Italian Classics! Baked Ziti, with added Vegetables. This is a great way to sneak in some vegetables in your diet! Kids will love it too!
- 8 oz Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
- 1 ½ cup Shredded Non Fat Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Red Bell Peppers, chopped
- ½ cup White Onion, chopped
- 2 cups canned or frozen Peas, drained
- 2 cups Spinach
- 2 Cups Broccoli Florets
- 1 Cup Mushrooms, sliced
- 10 Baby Carrots
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 cups Store Bought Marinara
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 5-6 Sprays of Canned Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil 5 cups of water in a medium sized sauce pan. Add a dash or salt and olive oil to season the pasta and prevent it from sticking together. Once the water beings to boil, add the penne and cook for about 7-10 minutes, or until al dente.
- When penne is done, strain and add the penne to an oven safe casserole dish.
- Chop the onions, and slice the mushrooms then add the a large sauté pan over medium-high heat with 2 sprays of olive oil. When the onion and garlic beings to brown, stir a little then lower the heat, add the chopped garlic and cover with a lid to sweat them out. Do so for about 8 minutes. Right before the veggies are ready add the spinach and wilt the leaves until they are bright green. Once they are done add the veggie mixture to the penne in the casserole dish.
- In the same sauté pan over medium heat boil about 3 cups of water. Once water begins to boil add the chopped Red Bell Peppers, Broccoli Florets, and Carrots.
- Steam the veggies for about 4 minutes until the broccoli and carrots brighten.
- Strain the veggies then add to the mixture in the casserole dish.
- Add the peas, Marinara, and salt and pepper in the same casserole dish then gently toss all the ingredients until mixed well.
- Add the shredded Mozzarella Cheese on top then put in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese begins to brown and bubble.
- Let stand about 5 minutes outside the oven, then cut and serve!
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|8 Ounce-weight penne||Pasta, penne, whole wheat, dry, pkg||212.625||1.525||42.525|
|1.5 Cup mozzarella||Cheese, mozzarella, fat free, shredded||67.5||0||3|
|1 Cup red bell pepper||Peppers, sweet, bell, red, fresh, chpd||11.55||0.125||2.25|
|.5 Cup onion||Onion, white, fresh, chpd||8||0.025||1.875|
|2 Cup peas||Peas, green, ckd, drnd||67.2||0.175||12.5|
|2 Cup spinach||Spinach, fresh, chpd||3.45||0.075||0.55|
|2 Cup broccoli||Broccoli, fresh||15.475||0.175||3.025|
|1 Cup mushrooms||Mushrooms, fresh, pces/slices||3.85||0.075||0.575|
|10 Each carrots||Carrot, fresh, baby, med||8.75||0.025||2.05|
|4 Cup marinara||Sauce, pasta, marinara||180||10||20|
|.8 Teaspoon salt||Salt, Kosher, coarse||0||0||0|
|.8 Teaspoon black pepper||Spice, pepper, black, ground||1.175||0.025||0.3|
|.8 Teaspoon olive oil||Oil, olive, extra virgin||8.4||0.95||0|
|3 Each garlic||Garlic, cloves, fresh||3.375||0.025||0.75|
Love to hear you thoughts below!