You don’t have to be in Maryland to enjoy some great crab cakes! We like our crab cakes to have some good colorful company as opposed to their traditional surroundings….solo with tartar sauce. We are sure that you’ll find enjoying a crab cake as an open faced sandwich actually enhances the experience!
Cook Time: 30 Min. Serves: 2 Calories: 542 Total Fat: 1 grams Protein: 16 grams
Fried crab cakes on wheat bread with iceberg lettuce, roma tomato, and red onion, garnished with fresh aioli and fresh chives.
2 Pre-formed crab cakes. We love the variety form Trader Joes and they are only 190 calories each and come in packs of two.
2 slices of multigrain bread or bread of your choosing. These days sprouted bread is readily available and another great alternative.
2 teaspoons of veganaise. ”Follow Your Heart” makes a wonderful veganaise, they sell it at most grocery stores now in their “tofu” section.
1 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar.
1/4 red onion.
4 slices of roma tomato
2 outer leaves of iceberg lettuce
garnish with chives!
- Begin by defrosting your crab cakes. Cook the crab cakes according to instructions. If the instructions call for frying the crab cakes do so with a little light canola oil spray in a non-stick pan. If you have time to bake the crab cakes this is a an even healthier method.
- Toast the multigrain bread of your choosing.
- Mix the vegenaise with the balsamic vinegar and set the mixture aside.
- Slice the red onions and roma tomatoes.
- Once your bread is adequately toasted you are ready to layer everything. Make sure that you time the preparation to have the bread coming out of the toaster last to make sure it is still warm when you serve. First add the iceberg lettuce, then the red onion, then the tomato, and top the whole stack with the crab cake.
- Add a dollop of the balsamic vegenaise sauce on top of the crab cake and garnish it with fresh chives.
- The attention you pay to something as small as the chives makes a big difference in the perception of the dish when you serve it!
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 149 Calories 542
% Daily value
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|2 Each crab cakes||Crab Cake||240||10||30|
|2 Slice multigrain bread||Bread, multigrain||240||3||44|
|1 Teaspoon balsamic||Vinegar, balsamic||4.7||0||1|
|.25 Each red onion||Onion, red, fresh, sml, whole||7||0.1||1.7|
|2 Each iceberg lettuce||Lettuce, iceberg, fresh, leaf, med||2.3||0.1||0.5|
|.5 Teaspoon chives||Herb, chives, fresh||0.2||0.1||0.1|
|2 Teaspoon mayonnaise||Dressing, mayonnaise, light||33.4||3.3||0.9|
|4 Piece tomato||Tomatoes, red, fresh, year round avg, med slices, 1/4″||14.4||0.2||3.1|
Love to hear you thoughts below!