Originally from Chicago, our team grew up eating sausage and peppers and tons of other sausage-infused Italian favorites. When we started changing our eating habits we thought we would have to say good-bye to sausage and hearty Italian forever. But now we figured out that we could season the leanest cut of pork just like sweet Italian sausage and cut out all the extra fats and oils! And per serving you get a whopping 30 grams of protein, and 12 grams of fiber; that you cannot beat!
This recipe calls for 1 serving, just double or triple the ingredients to make more! Or you can make this ahead of time and store it in the freezer up to 7 days.
If you like your pasta sauce smooth throw all sauce the ingredients, excluding the pork, into a blender before warming it up in the pan.
Cook Time: 25 Min. • Serves: 1 • Calories: 600 • Total Fat: 9 grams • Protein: 21 grams
- 3 ounces extra-lean ground pork
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of Salt
Penne and Sauce;
- ¾ cup whole-wheat Penne
- 2/3 cup thin 1’-long red or yellow bell pepper strips (we used red because they are sweet!)
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon honey, or agave sweetener
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400o F
- Too prepare the sausage: Combine the park, fennel seeds, parsley, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt. With clean hands, or a fork, mix well.
- Place a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it is hot enough for a spritz of water to sizzle on it. With an oven mitt, briefly remove the pan from the heat to lightly mist with olive oil spray.
- Add the sausage to the pan. Cook, breaking it into large chucks with a wooden spoon, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Remove from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- To prepare the Penne and sauce: Lightly mist a 2- to 3- cup baking dish with olive oil spray. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, return the skillet to the heat, add the pepper strips, and cook 3 to 5 minutes until tender. Add the reserved sausage. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, oregano, honey, and garlic powder.
- Stir to mix well. Add the reserved pasta. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil. Bake for 5 more minutes, or until heated through and the top is starting to brown just a bit.
- Let stand 3 to 5 minutes before serving
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|3 Ounce-weight ground pork||Pork, ground, raw, 4% fat||103||3.4||0.2|
|.5 Teaspoon fennel seeds||Spice, fennel seed||3.5||0.2||0.6|
|.5 Teaspoon parsley||Herb, parsley, fresh, chpd||0.3||0.1||0.1|
|.4 Teaspoon red pepper flakes||Spice, chili pepper, red, crushed flakes||2.3||0.2||0.5|
|.4 Teaspoon italian seasoning||Seasoning, Italian Essence, dry mix||0||0||0|
|.5 Teaspoon garlic powder||Spice, garlic, pwd||5.2||0.1||1.2|
|.8 Teaspoon kosher salt||Salt, Kosher, coarse||0||0||0|
|90 Gram penne||Pasta, penne, whole wheat, dry, pkg||337.5||2.5||67.5|
|.3 Cup red bell pepper||Peppers, sweet, bell, red, fresh, chpd||13.9||0.2||2.7|
|1 Cup canned tomato||Tomatoes, crushed, cnd||81.6||0.7||18.6|
|1 Tablespoon water||Water, tap, municipal||0||0||0|
|1.5 Teaspoon oregano||Herb, oregano, ground||7.2||0.2||1.9|
|.5 Teaspoon honey||Honey, light||10.7||0||2.9|
|2 Teaspoon parmesan cheese||Cheese, parmesan style topping, rducd fat, grated||20||1||2|
|1 Tablespoon tomato paste||Tomato Paste, cnd||15||0||3.5|
Love to hear you thoughts below!