Looking for a perfect salad for a warm spring day? This kale and quinoa salad is the perfect choice both in flavor and nutrition. Nourish yourself with a complete, non-animal based protein, quinoa. Enjoy the textures of kale and almonds with this simple recipe.
Cook Time: 45 Min. Serves: 4 Calories: 264 Total Fat: 10 grams Protein: 8 grams
Fresh kale and quinoa spring salad with tamari sauce, ginger, and garlic, mixed with fresh tangerines, almonds, and dressed with extra virgin olive oil.
2 cups cooked quinoa
Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
1 bunch kale, stems and ribs removed
Sea salt, to taste
2 fresh tangerines
1 tablespoon gluten-free low sodium tamari sauce
2 tablespoons raw organic agave or brown rice syrup, to taste
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
Fresh cracked pepper
1/4 cup roasted almonds
Cooking the Quinoa:
- Boil 2.25 cups of water in a small pot. Add a 1 teaspoon of olive to the water.
- Rinse 1 cup of quinoa thoroughly with water in a bowl or a strainer. Shake any excess water out before transferring to the pot.
- Pour the quinoa in boiling water and reduce to medium heat. Cover the pot with a lid and let it cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir the quinoa occasionally while cooking to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Put the lid back on until the quinoa is done cooking.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes. Remove the lid from the pot. Be cautious of the hot escaping steam.
- Fluff the cooked quinoa and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil to moisten.
- Remove the stems and ribs of the kale, wash, and place them in a large salad dish.
- Peel the tangerines and separate the wedges. Save half a tangerine for the juice.
- In a cup, whisk the juice from half a tangerine with the tamari sauce, agave, ginger and garlic. Sprinkle over the kale and toss to distribute.
- Add the kale to the quinoa and toss.
- Add the remaining tangerine wedges.
- Add a black pepper to taste
- Just before serving mix in the toasted almonds. Pack a cup of the desired size with the salad to use as a serving mold if desired.
Serve immediately at room temperature. Keeps in the fridge 2-3 days.
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 90 Calories 264
% Daily value
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|2 Cup quinoa||Quinoa, ckd||111||1.8||19.7|
|1 Tablespoon olive oil||Oil, olive, extra virgin||31.5||3.5||0|
|1 Cup kale||Cabbage, kale, fresh, chpd||8.4||0.2||1.7|
|.5 Teaspoon kosher salt||Salt, Kosher, coarse||0||0||0|
|2 Each tangerine||Tangerines, fresh, sml, 2 1/4″||20.2||0.2||5.1|
|1 Tablespoon tamari||Sauce, soy, Tamari||2.7||0.1||0.3|
|2 Tablespoon brown rice syrup||Syrup, brown rice, Sweet Dreams, 16oz btl||36.4||0.1||9|
|1 Teaspoon ginger||Spice, ginger root, fresh||0.4||0.1||0.1|
|1 Each garlic||Garlic, cloves, fresh||1.2||0.1||0.3|
|.5 Teaspoon black pepper||Spice, pepper, black, ground||0.8||0.1||0.2|
|.25 Cup almonds||Nuts, almonds, whole||51.4||4.5||2|
Love to hear you thoughts below!