Korean cuisine is all the rage these days with people even fusing its elements with mexican cuisine. If you like Korean soups, Kimchi soup is the center of the Korean soup universe! Check out this low calorie recipe for a hearty Korean soup!
Cook Time: 45 Min. Serves: 2 Calories: 245 Total Fat: 12 grams Protein: 26 grams
Kimchi soup with seared pork, fresh garlic, and green onions in sesame oil with mushrooms, firm tofu and spinach.
1 Cup of Kimchi
4 ounces of pork
4 ounces of firm tofu
.5 teaspoon of sesame oil
2 whole green onions
1 clove of fresh garlic
1 cup of mushrooms (brown or white)
.5 cup of spinach
2 cups of water
1 cup of chicken broth
1. Start with a non-stick pan. Put your sesame oil in the pan and bring it to a medium heat, be careful not to have the heat too high or the oil will burn. Add your pork, minced garlic, and chopped green onions and sautee them for a few minutes. Remove from the stove.
2. In a pot bring your chicken broth and water to a boil. Then turn the heat down to medium and add the ingredients from the pan, (pork, garlic, green onions). Also add you cup of KimChi and mushrooms.
3. After you have cooked the ingredients in the pot with the lid on (prevents reduction) for about 15 minutes you are ready to pull off the lid and add the rest of the ingredients. So at this point at the mushrooms, spinach, and tofu.
4. One thing to consider with tofu is to mash it up and add it to the soup, or you can cube it to the desired size. I prefer to mash to tofu because it adds a heartiness to the soup base.
5. Cook everything for 15 minutes and you are ready to serve! Another option is to add a raw egg into the soup 5 minutes before you serve it as a way to add a little extra flair, of course this adds calories and cholesterol too so be aware of it!
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 107 Calories 245
% Daily value
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|1 Cup kim chi||Relish, kim chi||30||0||4|
|4 Ounce-weight pork||Pork, roast, top loin, lean, rstd||98.1||3.6||0|
|4 Ounce-weight tofu||Tofu, firm||56.2||3.8||0.7|
|1 Teaspoon sesame oil||Oil, sesame, toasted, unrefined, org||20||2.4||0|
|.3 Cup green onion||Onion, green, tops & bulb, fresh, chpd||4.8||0.1||1.2|
|1 Each garlic||Garlic, cloves, fresh||2.3||0.1||0.5|
|1 Cup crimini mushroom||Mushrooms, crimini, fresh||9.6||0.1||1.9|
|.5 Cup baby spinach||Spinach, baby, fresh||2.5||0||0.7|
|2 Cup water||Water, tap, municipal||0||0||0|
|1 Cup chicken broth||Broth, chicken, 99% fat free||4.6||0.2||0.2|
|1 Teaspoon butter||Butter, salted||17||2||0.1|
Love to hear you thoughts below!