If you have never enjoyed ground lamb this recipe is sure to make you an enthusiast. Lamb is well known for it’s strong flavors, this recipe embraces that essence. This recipe takes a bit of preparation but is well worth it. It serves 2 but can be made for many if desired!
Cook Time: 60 Min. Serves: 2 Calories: 576 Total Fat: 31 grams Protein: 37 grams
Eggplant halves, stuffed with fresh new zealand ground lamb mixed with brown rice, port, and fresh herbs and topped with gorgonzola cheese.
.5 pound of ground New Zealand Lamb
.5 cup of cooked brown rice
1 tablespoon of pulverized walnuts
1 whole eggplant
1 tablespoon of ground Thyme
1 tablespoon of ground Rosemary
1 teaspoon of worcestershire
2 tablespoons of port
1 ounce of crumbled gorgonzola cheese
.5 cup of steamed beet slices
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Begin by cutting your eggplant in half as well as cutting the “feet” so that the eggplant will easily stand up straight. Next get a fruit/ melon baller and hollow out each segment of eggplant so that you end up with little cups.
3. Cook your brown rice. If time is of the essence Trader Joe’s has a microwavable brown rice that is perfect when you need to prepare a small quantity for adding to something else. The Trader Joe’s brown rice is not nearly as good as cooking it yourself, but for the purposes of mixing with ground lamb it is just fine. Also, it is done in a minute!.
3. Wash your hands well! Get a large mixing bowl and add all your ingredients! Lamb, pulverized walnuts, herbs and spices, port, worchestershire sauce. Pulverizing walnuts is easier than you think, you don’t need a hammer! Just chop them up with a chefs knife like you would any veggie, they come apart very easily. Also, don’t be afraid of the meat, make sure you really mix everything together throughly.
4. Fill each half of the eggplant and top each with crumbled gorgonzola cheese. As you can see it is perfectly fine to over fill the eggplant, in fact it adds a nice appearance to the eggplant when it is served.
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 272 Calories 576
% Daily value
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|.5 Pound lamb||Lamb, ground, brld, 20% fat||320.95||22.3||0|
|.5 Cup brown rice||Rice, brown, long grain, ckd||54.15||0.45||11.2|
|1 Tablespoon walnuts||Nuts, walnuts, English, dried, chpd||23.95||2.4||0.55|
|1 Teaspoon black pepper||Spice, pepper, black, ground||2.9||0.05||0.75|
|1 Each eggplant||Eggplant, fresh, whole, unpeeled||65.8||0.55||15.65|
|1 Tablespoon herb thyme||Herb, thyme, ground||5.8||0.15||1.35|
|1 Tablespoon herb rosemary||Herb, rosemary, leaf, ground||7.25||0.2||1.25|
|1 Teaspoon worshetershire||Sauce, worcestershire||2.25||0||0.55|
|2 Tablespoon wine||Wine, dessert, sweet, port||23.6||0||2.05|
|1 Ounce-weight gorgonzola||Cheese, gorgonzola, crumbled||50.65||4.05||0.55|
|.5 Cup beets||Beet, ckd, drnd, sliced||18.7||0.1||4.25|
Love to hear your thoughts below!