A split chicken breast is nothing more than a “regular” chicken breast with the skin on and the tenderloin and a bit of rib meat attached. In my opinion, it’s one of the best cuts of chicken to cook. The skin makes sure that the breast stays juicy and the bone just makes it tastier.
You obviously don’t have to eat the skin, but we suggest cooking with it on.
Steamed broccoli is the best cure for over-indulgence that we know. It’s cleansing, healthful, high in vitamin C, protein (45% of the calories in broccoli are from protein), and fiber.
Cook Time: 45 Min. • Serves: 2 • Calories: 427 • Total Fat: 22 grams • Protein: 48 grams
This is an extraordinarily simple way to cook split chicken breast and it always comes out tender and delicious.
- 1 5oz Chicken Breast with skin and bones still intact
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Parsley
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Lavender
- 2 cups Broccoli
- 1 cup water
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a bowl, prepare the basting sauce by combining olive oil, onion, garlic, thyme, oregano, parsley, and lavender.
- Using a brush, coat the chicken breast evenly with the marinade. Place skin side up in a shallow baking dish. Cover.
- Roast at 425 degrees F, basting occasionally with pan drippings, for about 35 to 45 minutes.
- 10 minutes before the chicken breast is done being to rinse out your broccoli, and cut into large, bite-sized florets.
- Bring 3/4 to 1 inch of water to a boil in a saucepan with a steamer. (Note that if you don’t have a steamer, you can simply put the broccoli directly into an inch of boiling water, then strain.)
- Add the broccoli to the steamer and cover; reduce heat to medium and let cook for 5-6 minutes. The broccoli is done when you can pierce it with a fork. But be careful not to overcook the broccoli. As soon as it is pierce-able, remove from heat, place in serving dish.
- Dress to taste with a pinch of salt, pepper, and a few squeezes of lemon.
- When the chicken breast is done remove to warm platter with the broccoli, spoon pan juices over, and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|5 Ounce-weight chicken breast||Chicken, broiler/fryer, breast, w/skin, rstd||279.3||11.1||0|
|2 Teaspoon olive oil||Oil, olive, extra virgin||84||9.4||0|
|.5 Teaspoon thyme||Herb, thyme, fresh||0.5||0.1||0.1|
|.5 Teaspoon oregano||Herb, oregano, ground||2.4||0.1||0.7|
|.5 Teaspoon parsley||Herb, parsley, dried||0.8||0.1||0.2|
|.5 Teaspoon onion powder||Spice, onion, pwd||4.1||0.1||1|
|.5 Teaspoon garlic powder||Spice, garlic, pwd||5.2||0.1||1.2|
|2 Cup broccoli||Broccoli, florets, fresh||39.8||0.5||7.5|
|1 Cup water||Water, tap, municipal||0||0||0|
|1 Ounce-weight lemon||Juice, lemon, fresh||6.3||0.1||2|
|.8 Teaspoon salt||Salt, Kosher, coarse||0||0||0|
|.8 Teaspoon black pepper||Spice, pepper, black, ground||4.7||0.1||1.2|
Love to hear you thoughts below!