This is our take on the classic Tapas dish “Gambas Braves” which means brave shrimp! We make ours with broccoli and extra virgin olive oil to add in some extra nutrition. If you’re a heat seeker add in a finely chopped jalapeno of a few shakes of red pepper flakes.
Saffron is the secret ingredient in this dish. Only use a little, it adds bold flavor and color!
Saffron is basically a flowering plant which is widely used as a culinary spice. It is also used in herbal supplements due to its varied health benefits. Right from treating depression, asthma, atherosclerosis and stressful menstrual cycles, saffron’s benefits extend to even treating cancer and helping to lower bad cholesterol levels.
Saffron is in fact, an expensive spice made from the saffron crocus flower. Research indicates that a few compounds in saffron do promote anti-cancer activity. It also helps in stimulating the secretion of stomach acids which supposedly assists in the contraction of muscles, for instance, as in the uterus.
Reddish golden in color, saffron is used basically as a seasoning agent in cooking and also as a coloring agent.
In fact, saffron is one of nature’s highly powerful herbs. From time immemorial, saffron is known to have helped relieve stomach aches and kidney stones. It also improves circulation of blood.
Cook Time: 20 Min. • Serves: 2 • Calories: 590 • Total Fat: 23 grams • Protein: 50 grams
- ¾ lb. shrimp (frozen, uncooked, or fresh)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2.5 tbs. extra virgin olive oil 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chili, finely chopped (optional)
- ½ cup dry white wine (optional)
- 3 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¼ tsp. saffron
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup Brown Rice
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a medium sized sauce pan. Once water begins to boil add the brown rice and reduce the heat and cover.
- Peel and devein the shrimp, once they are clean wash them and set aside.
- Bring about 2 cups of water to a boil in a large chef’s pan over high heat. Add the broccoli florets to the boiling water and cover. Steam the broccoli for about 3-4 minutes until the stalk is still crunchy and the color is bright green.
- Strain the broccoli and set aside.
- Heat the Grape Seed Oil in a large chef’s pan over medium-high heat. Add the roughly chopped garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and season the pan with Saffron, the Lemon Juice, and the Jalapeno and cook for about 5 minutes. Stirring enough so that the shrimp don’t get too charred on one side.
- Right before the shrimp are cooked through add the broccoli florets and season everything with salt and pepper.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and then add it to a shallow plate.
- Top the rice with the shrimp and broccoli mixture and eat immediately!
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|.75 Pound shrimp||Shrimp, ckd||202.5||3.05||0|
|3 Cup broccoli||Broccoli, fresh||46.45||0.5||9.1|
|2.5 Tablespoon olive oil||Oil, olive, extra virgin||157.5||17.5||0|
|8 Each garlic||Garlic, cloves, fresh||17.9||0.05||4|
|1 Each jalapeno||Pepper, chili, jalapeno, fresh||2.05||0.05||0.5|
|1/2 Cup white wine||Wine, cooking, white||40.05||0||0|
|3 Fluid ounce lemon juice||Juice, lemon, fresh||10.1||0.1||3.2|
|.4 Teaspoon saffron||Rice Dish jasmine, saffron, low fat, dry mix||2.85||0||0.65|
|.8 Teaspoon sea salt||Salt, sea, Brazilian||0||0||0|
|.8 Teaspoon black pepper||Spice, pepper, black, ground||2.35||0.05||0.6|
|1 Cup brown rice||Rice, brown, long grain, ckd||108.25||0.9||22.4|
Love to hear you thoughts below!