It’s the age-old debate, Ricotta VS. Cottage Cheese
Ricotta is a soft cheese that has a fine, moist, grainy texture. Cottage cheese is “lumpier”, whether the curds are small or large. Cream is added to the curds to create the rich “creamed cottage cheese” we are all familiar with. For low-fat cottage cheese, 1% or 2% milk replaces the cream. A half cup of creamed cottage cheese contains about 115 calories, while 1% cottage cheese has about 80 calories. A half cup of ricotta cheese made with whole milk contains about 215 calories, while ricotta made partly with skim milk has only 170 calories per half cup.
Cook Time: 50 Min. • Serves: 4 • Calories: 491 • Total Fat: 17 grams • Protein: 39 grams
This lasagna is a lighter version of the classic dish, filled with spinach, mushrooms, artichokes, and the secret ingredient… Cottage Cheese!
- 5 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Yellow Onion, minced
- 2 cups Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1 cup Artichoke
- 1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon Basil, dried
- 6 oz Lasagna Noodles, cooked
- 7 oz Mozzarella, shredded
- 16 oz Cottage Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 14 oz Store Bought Pasta Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high.
- Saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes, or until onion is tender-crisp.
- Stir in basil, oregano, artichoke hearts and spinach; reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cottage cheese.
- Spread 1/4 of the artichoke and cottage cheese mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish; top with 3 cooked noodles.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese over noodles.
- Repeat layers 2 more times, ending with artichoke mixture and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 40 minutes.
- Uncover, and bake 15 minutes more, or until hot and bubbly and the cheese begins to brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
To freeze: Bake, cool, wrap well, and label. freeze up to 2 months. *Note: You can assemble and freeze without cooking and cook on the day to be eaten!
To serve, defrost overnight and then bake until warmed through, or bake from frozen for 1 hour and a half.
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|5 Each garlic||Garlic, cloves, fresh||5.6||0.025||1.25|
|1 Each onion||Onion, fresh, med||11.25||0||3|
|2 Cup mushroom||Mushrooms, fresh, pces/slices||7.7||0.125||1.15|
|1 Cup artichoke||Artichoke, French, hearts, ckd, drnd||22.275||0.15||5.025|
|5 Ounce-weight lasagna||Pasta, lasagna, whole wheat, dry||130.2||1.1||24.6|
|7 Ounce-weight mozzarella||Cheese, mozzarella, low moist, part skim, shredded||149.825||9.925||1.9|
|16 Ounce-weight cottage cheese||Cottage Cheese, 1% fat||81.65||1.175||3.1|
|1 Each egg||Egg White, raw, lrg||4.3||0.025||0.075|
|1 Teaspoon salt||Salt, Kosher, coarse||0||0||0|
|1 Teaspoon black pepper||Spice, pepper, black, ground||1.45||0.025||0.375|
|1 Tablespoon olive oil||Oil, olive, extra virgin||31.5||3.5||0|
|14 Ounce-weight tomato sauce||Tomato Sauce, unsalted||41.675||0.2||8.65|
|2 Cup spinach||Spinach, fresh, chpd||3.45||0.075||0.55|
Love to hear you thoughts below!