Tempeh is one of the most malleable vegan ingredients to use. For those of you that don’t know about it, it is a soy product that originated in Indonesia. It is made through a process of natural culturing and fermentation that binds the beans together into a patty similar to a very firm vegetarian burger patty. One of the most basic ways to use it is to slice it and use it in a stir fry! This stir fry is super easy and very healthy, in fact it is cholesterol free! Try it out!
Cook Time: 15 Min. Serves: 1 Calories: 591 Total Fat: 20 grams Protein: 35 grams
Teriyaki tempeh stir fry with fresh vegetables and brown rice, topped with green onions and sriracha sauce.
4 ounces of tempeh
6 ounces of fresh spinach
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
1 ounce of teriyaki sauce
1/3 cup of green onions
1 clove of garlic
1 cup of cooked brown rice
1. Begin by slicing your vegetables including your tempeh into the desired width.
2. Using a non-stick pan and canola oil stir fry the veggies and tempeh adding the teriyaki sauce and sesame oil. Sesame oil is very strong and pungent, you only need the smallest amount to empart a great toasted flavor to the bowl.
3. You notice that this recipe serves 1. This was done deliberately. Part of the appeal of this dish aside from the nutrition is that it is very easy to cook on a work night eating home alone. For brown rice I use Trader Joe’s microwavable rice because it prepares in 60 seconds. Be warned, the Trader Joes brown rice is a bit hard, certainly not as good as freshly prepared brown rice,…. there is a workaround for this slight annoyance. When you open the top of the rice packet before heating add a teaspoon of water. When the rice is done cooking remove a portion of the rice closest to the top of the packet as this is the portion that is the most dry.
4. Now you are ready to put your stir fried ingredients on top of a bowl of brown rice!
5. One of the benefits of using Sriracha (red rooster sauce) is that you need very little to spice up the dish and add some nice color as well.
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 174 Calories 591
% Daily value
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|4 Ounce-weight tempeh||Tempeh||218.9||12.3||10.7|
|6 Ounce-weight spinach||Spinach, fresh, leaf||39.2||0.6||6.2|
|6 Ounce-weight mushroom white||Mushrooms, white, fresh||36.5||0.3||5.8|
|1 Teaspoon sesame oil||Oil, sesame, salad or cooking||40.1||4.6||0|
|1 Ounce-weight teriyaki sauce||Sauce, stir fry, teriyaki||22.7||0.1||5.3|
|.3 Cup green onions||Onion, green, fresh, chpd||12||0||2.4|
|1 Each garlic||Garlic, cloves, fresh||4.5||0.1||1|
|1 Cup brown rice||Rice, brown, long grain, ckd||216.5||1.8||44.8|
Love to hear you thoughts below