This low calorie vegetarian meatball sub is a great way to enjoy an decadent italian lunch without any of the calories or fat! You will be surprised at how delicious these meatballs are. Heck make a bunch and use them in a whole wheat spaghetti later on!
Cook Time: 45 Min. Serves: 2 Calories: 375 Total Fat: 13 grams Protein: 27 grams
Lentil and tofu vegetarian meatballs in fresh romaine with marinara sauce and fresh grated parmesan cheese.
10 ounces of cooked lentils
3 ounces of firm tofu
2 outer leaves of romaine lettuce
2 tablespoons of flax seed
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 teaspoon of basil
2 packets of stevia sweetner
4 tablespoons of marinara sauce
4 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon of red wine
1 teaspoon of EVOO
1. Pre-heat your oven to 380 degrees.
2. Begin by mashing your cooked lentils and tofu together before adding any of the other ingredients. There are a number of ways to get this done. One is to use a potato masher and put it in a large bowl. Another is to put the lentils and tofu into a large ziplock bag and mash it together by hand. This is much more effective that mashing the stuff by hand in the bowl. Once the lentils and tofu are essentially reduced to a sticky paste you are ready to add the other ingredients.
3. Add your egg, basil, oregano, chopped garlic, wine, garlic powered, stevia, pepper, olive oil, and flax seed to the mix and make certain the ingredients are well mixed.
4. Form your “meat” balls and put them in the oven. Depending on how tender you want them cook them more or less. I think 25 minutes is a good amount of time, although my friend prefers to go longer, like 40 minutes and ends up with a crispier outside. Make sure to spray some canola oil onto your baking pan to prevent them from sticking.
5. When the meatballs are done arrange them in an outer leaf of romaine lettuce so they look like they are sitting in a boat.
6. Add you marinara over the meatballs and then your cheese. Done.
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 117 Calories 375
% Daily value
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|10 Ounce-weight lentils||Beans, lentils, mature, ckd||164.45||0.55||28.55|
|3 Ounce-weight tofu||Tofu, firm||42.15||2.85||0.5|
|2 Each romaine||Lettuce, romaine, fresh, outer leaf||5||0||1|
|1 Each egg||Egg White, raw, lrg||8.6||0.05||0.15|
|2 Tablespoon flax seed||Seeds, flax/linseed, ground||37.4||3||2.05|
|1 Each garlic clove||Garlic, cloves, fresh||2.25||0.05||0.5|
|1 Teaspoon garlic powder||Spice, garlic, pwd||5.15||0.05||1.15|
|1 Tablespoon black pepper||Spice, pepper, black, ground||8.7||0.15||2.25|
|2 Each stevia||Sweetener, stevia, pwd, pkt||4||0||1|
|1 Teaspoon olive oil||Oil, olive, extra virgin||21||2.35||0|
|1 Tablespoon red wine||Wine, red||6.25||0||0.2|
|1 Teaspoon oregano||Herb, oregano, ground||2.4||0.05||0.65|
|1 Teaspoon basil||Herb, basil, dried, ground||1.65||0.05||0.35|
|4 Tablespoon marinara sauce||Sauce, pasta, marinara||22.5||1.25||2.5|
|4 Tablespoon parmesan||Cheese, parmesan, grated||43.1||2.9||0.4|
Love to hear you thoughts below!