Veggie burgers are all the rage these days. There are a million different ways to make them using grains, legumes, ect. This is one of many recipes we will be posting for you to try. It is very simple and delicious!
Cook Time: 30 Min. Serves: 8 Calories: 399 Total Fat: 20 grams Protein: 13 grams
Meatless tofu-free veggie burger. Served protein style (lettuce wrap no bun) with fresh tomato, cucumbers, sprouts, red onions and american cheese. Lite mayonnaise and black pepper to taste.
- 1-1/2 cups of dry buckwheat
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 4 Tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3 leaves of kale
- 1 large carrot grated
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed, steamed or boiled until tender, and mashed
- 1/4 cup of tahini
- 2 Tbs of soy sauce
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 8 slices of low fat american cheese
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cup sprouts
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 head of lettuce
- 6 tablespoons of light mayonnaise
1. Dry-roast the buckwheat in a medium pot for about 5 minutes. You should stir the pot occasionally.
2. Add the water and salt and bring it to a boil over high heat.
3. Once you are at a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until water is absorbed and buckwheat is soft, this takes about 15 minutes. Also make sure to boil your potatoes.
4. Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat and then add celery and carrots. Finally add the kale and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Stir everything together, including the potatoes that you have boiled and don’t forget the tahini.
6. Shape the patties in a patty former. This makes a huge difference in the experience of enjoying a veggie burger. The uniformity is very attractive to your guests are guaranteed to be impressed. Cuisinart actually makes a great patty-former set.
7. Fry the burgers in a non stick pan with canola oil spray until crispy on both sides. Reduce the heat to low and add your cheese covering the pan for a few moments to get the cheese melted.
8. When you are wrapping your veggie burger the care in assembly is essential. Don’t over pack the veggie burger! It is enough to create a number of uniform slim layers of the veggies. Dress the veggie burger with light mayonnaise between the onion and tomato for the greatest effect.
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 177 Calories 399
% Daily value
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|1.5 Cup buckwheat||Buckwheat, groats, brown, dry||112.5||0.75||23.25|
|3 Cup water||Water, tap, municipal||0||0||0|
|1 Teaspoon kosher salt||Salt, Kosher, coarse||0||0||0|
|1 Each onion||Onion, sweet, fresh||13.25||0.0375||3.125|
|4 Tablespoon olive oil||Oil, olive, extra virgin||63||7||0|
|1 Each celery||Celery, stalk, med, 7.5″ – 8″ long, fresh||0.8||0.0125||0.15|
|.5 Cup kale||Cabbage, kale, fresh, chpd||2.1||0.0375||0.425|
|1 Each carrot||Carrot, fresh, med||3.1375||0.025||0.7375|
|2 Each potatoes||Sweet Potatoes, dark orange, bkd in skin, peeled, lrg||40.5||0.075||9.325|
|.25 Cup tahini||Tahini||44.4125||3.9875||1.6125|
|2 Tablespoon soy sauce||Sauce, soy, naturally brewed||2.5||0||0|
|.5 Each red onion||Onion, red, fresh, sml, whole||1.75||0.0125||0.4125|
|8 Piece american cheese||Cheese, American, past, proc, rducd fat, slice||60||4||0|
|2 Each tomatos||Tomatoes, fresh, med||6.25||0||1.25|
|1 Cup sprouts||Sprouts, alfalfa, fresh||0.95||0.0375||0.0875|
|1 Each cucumber||Cucumber, fresh, med||5.6875||0||1.1375|
|.5 Each lettuce||Lettuce, iceberg, fresh, head, med||3.6875||0||0.7375|
|6 Tablespoon mayonnaise||Dressing, mayonnaise, light||37.575||3.7||0.9625|