As pedestrian as a veggie sandwich can be we thought it would be worth it to remind folks why they are popular. Namely because they are nutritious, easy to make, and low in calories! Come on! Who doesn’t love a great veggie sandwich!
Cook Time: 10 Min. Serves: 1 Calories: 385 Total Fat: 15 grams Protein: 12 grams
Whole wheat veggie sandwich with veganaise, roma tomatoes, red onion, fresh avocado, persian cucumber, and jack cheese.
2 slices of multigrain bread. You can use sprouted bread as well.
1 teaspoon of veganaise (vegan mayonnaise) ”Follow Your Heart” is a great brand.
1 slice of pepper jack cheese or a cheese of your liking.
1/4 of an haas avocado (thinly sliced)
1/4 roma tomato (thinly sliced)
1/4 small red onion (thinly sliced)
1 chive stem chopped
1/2 persian cucumber (thinly sliced)
1 out leaf of iceberg lettuce
- Begin by thinly slicing long-ways the persian cucumber, red onion, and roma tomato.
- Cut the haas avocado in half and using the half without the pit slice diagonally from top to bottom without breaking the skin. Use a spoon to gently remove the pieces. This method will allow you to remove the avocado slices without mashing them to bits.
- Toast your bread to the desired crispness.
- Finely chop up the chive.
- Remove bread from toaster and spread vegenaise on 1 side of the bread.
- Place the cheese on the other piece of bread and begin layering the veggies, first the avocado, tomato, red onion, cucumber, and then the chopped chives.
- If you want the cheese melted microwave it for 1 few seconds
- Next fold the iceberg lettuce accordingly to fit onto the sandwich and cover with the other piece of bread.
- You may notice that we served our veggie sandwich on some old newspaper. If you are preparing sandwiches for a large number of people and are looking for an old school cheap way to wrap the sandwiches, use old newspaper. The only thing to remember is to make sure to under-wrap the sandwich in paper towels before you wrap the newspaper around the food. Have you ever looked at your hands after handling a newspaper? Yeah…you don’t want ink in your food.
Look below for all the nutrition facts as well as a break down of the nutrition for all the ingredients!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 136 Calories 427
% Daily value
|Ingredient||Linked To Nutritional Value||Cal||Fat||Carb|
|2 Slice multigrain bread||Bread, multigrain||240||3||44|
|1 Teaspoon mayonnaise||Dressing, mayonnaise, soybean oil||33.1||3.7||0.2|
|.25 Each avocado||Avocado, avg, fresh||80.4||7.4||4.3|
|.25 Each tomato||Tomatoes, fresh, med||6.3||0||1.3|
|.25 Each red onion||Onion, red, fresh, sml, whole||7||0.1||1.7|
|1 Tablespoon chive||Herb, chives, fresh||0.9||0.1||0.2|
|.5 Each cucumber||Cucumber, fresh, med||15.2||0||3.1|
|1 Each iceberg lettuce||Lettuce, iceberg, fresh, leaf, lrg||2.1||0.1||0.5|
Love to hear you thoughts below!